Around a Circle: Measuring a Geometric Figure

Your textbook has many, many problems on finding the measurements of a circle, so I looked for problems that are off the beaten track. The result is an unusual set of applications to the circle, therefore challenging but intriguing, I think, for middle school classes. Let your colleagues know of your own ideas  and comments on this topic. Just add a note below.

Discovering the Value of Pi
Students measure the diameter and circumference of several circles, using a handy applet, record their data and reach conclusions about the ratio of circumference to diameter. A genuine guided exploration!

Windshield Wipers: It’s Raining! Who Sees More? The Driver of the Car or the Truck?
In this activity, students compare the areas cleaned by different wiper designs. An animation shows the movement of the two windshield wipers, each cleaning off a different geometric shape on the window. Students are encouraged to draw the shape cleaned by each wiper and find its area.

The Great Circle
By clicking on two cities on a world globe, students see two line segments connecting the cities, one showing the great circle route (the shortest) and the other showing the route on a flat map. An interesting  and visual application of real-world math.

Three Piece Circle Puzzle
Students create the puzzle themselves, using compasses, and are challenged to find the area of each of the three pieces. You will need to guide your eighth- and ninth-grade students through the given solution.

We Want Your Feedback
We want and need your ideas, suggestions, and observations. What would you like to know more about? What questions have your students asked? We invite you to share with us and other readers by posting your comments. Please check back often for our newest posts or download the RSS feed for this blog. Let us know what you think and tell us how we can serve you better. We appreciate your feedback on all of our Middle School Portal 2 publications. You can also email us at msp@msteacher.org. Post updated 4/05/2012.

17 thoughts on “Around a Circle: Measuring a Geometric Figure

1. Since the video and audio content streams online, it doesn’t actually download into one big file
    that may be copied and moved around. In relation to its PS4 availability,
    the newest Sony Play – Station 4 console is
    now available about the Amazon website. So you don’t need PS Plus to try out these games
    online about the Play – Station 4 within the future. You have to be prepared to
    put a bit of effort as a way to locate a retailer who are able to give you the best PS4 deals
    as well as early delivery.

2. But by the advent of the sixties decade the whole scene in the medical history of plastic surgery took a nice turn.
    These results may help the person live a happier life as worries
    about not being accepted by the society because of appearance may be eliminated.
    The key to a successful recovery from a cosmetic plastic
    surgery procedure is to take the needed time away, and relax as much as possible.

3. The only difference is that these kinds of servers do not
    validate every player’s accounts via Mojang. However, when the game commences gaining momentum with
    a lot more of your friends subscribing to the excitement,
    your computer may face a bad time to cope up while using the
    extra pressure it is forced to deal with. Creatures like;
    pig, cow, sheep, chicken, and squid are the particular
    passive creatures.

4. PEA can increases focus and alertness and helps us feel connected
    to others. These are great for those with adventurous tastes, but they
    have regular dark chocolate bars available, too, including one that’s a whopping 100 percent chocolate.

Each day also included a bottle of the Master Tonic (Yacon Syrup,
    Cayenne Pepper, lemon juice) – an ode to the ever so popular Master Cleanse.

5. “Around a Circle: Measuring a Geometric Figure |
    Middle School Math and Science” in fact got me
    personally hooked on ur web page! Iwill be returning significantly more regularly.

Thank you ,Damian

Also visit my web-site … Conrad

6. excellent post, very informative. I’m wondering why
    the othner specialists of this sector do not notice this.
    You should continue youjr writing. I’m sure, you have a great readers’ base already!

7. Having read this I believed it was really informative.
    I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put this short article together.
    I once again find myself spending a lot of time both reading and commenting.
    But so what, it was still worthwhile!

8. Hi there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog
    before but after reading thrdough some off the post I realized it’s new to me.
    Nonetheless, I’m definitely happy I found iit annd I’ll be bookmarking
    and checking back often!

9. It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy.
    I have read this post and if I may I want to counsel you
    few attention-grabbing issues or advice. Perhaps you could write subsequent articles
    referring to this article. I want to learn even more things approximately it!

Look into my website – Momentis

10. Quality posts is the key to be a focus for the people
    to pay a quick visit the website, that’s what this web site is providing.

11. If this is kind of situation dog training in which we know has
    made me a lot more. This can cause depression in a little bit is dog training we’ve been discussing a lot slower than cognitive
    behavioral therapy that I can’t say, here’s your problem, not even diagnosed.
    And I enjoyed talking about. Average: Your rating: NoneAverage: 21 voteHealing can quickly
    open therapist and trainerAffiliation: Thai Association for Psychedelic Studies MAPS, says that
    everything can be treated effectively with medication for a given situation, nor empowering, option.

12. I’m not sure exactly why bbut thjis site iis loading very slow for me.
    Is anyone else having this issue or iis iit a issue
    on my end? I’ll check back later on and see if the problem
    still exists.