Keeping Current With Science Research

Keeping up with the latest research in science is getting easier – wonderful science blogs and news services can inform and engage both you and your students. Depending on the blog or service, you can have the content delivered to your inbox or show up on your browser homepage. Look for the RSS symbol on the page for directions on how to add the content to your web site or favorite RSS Reader. You can follow many of these on Twitter. Here are some of our favorites – please use the comment box and let us know where you go on the web to stay current with what is happening in science.

Science 360 News Service
Science 360 gathers news from scientists, college and university press offices, popular and peer-reviewed journals, dozens of National Science Foundation science and engineering centers, and funding sources that include government agencies, not-for-profit organizations and private industry. This portal provides links to audio, video, picture of the day, and selected blog posts (What the blogs are saying today). So if you only have time to look at one resource, this is probably the one you want to look at. One news blast each day.

Wired Science
This blog follows in the footsteps of the parent magazine – an eclectic mix of really interesting stories that cover all science disciplines. Lots of cool images and embedded videos. Not a lot of opinion – mostly summaries of the science that is happening now. Usually one post a day – sometimes two. Also covers some mathematics topics – here is a good one: Mathematical Modeling for Surviving a Zombie Attack!

DotEarth: Nine Billion People, One Planet
In this New York Times blog, Andy Revkin explores the climate, sustainability, and other environmental issues facing us as the global population continues to grow. Frequent thoughtful, well-researched posts, interviews, and interactives will keep you up-to-date with the issues facing our planet.

Bad Astronomy
The guy that writes this blog, Phil Plait, the webmaster of Bad Astronomy, worked on Hubble Space Telescope. He is famous for debunking quite a few science myths (he doesn’t believe in alien encounters). This is a personal blog – he fights the misuses of science and praises the wonder of real science. Usually one post a day.

Science Buzz
Science Buzz, a blog from the Science Museum of Minnesota, is a way to dig deeper into science headlines and share questions and concerns with scientists, museum staff, and other visitors. Bloggers focus on science in the news, emerging research, and seasonal science. They encourage readers to be part of the buzzzzz. Two or more posts most days.

Science News – The New York Times
The science page of the NYT brings together all of the science content from the media outlet – articles, video, science blog posts (including DotEarth), letters to the editor and much more. The page is updated each day.

NPR Health Blog
This blog covers news about health and medicine. It is written and reported by NPR’s Science Desk. Two or more posts each day.

Tween Tribune
Many middle school science teachers expect their students to keep up with science news and trends. If you’re looking for a news source aimed at early adolescents, check out TweenTribune, which uses a blog tool to share fresh science news each week. TweenTribune also provides national and world news, entertainment, and a growing list of book reviews written for tweens.

ScienceDaily
ScienceDaily summarizes the top science news stories from the world’s leading universities and research organizations. These stories are selected from among dozens of press releases and other materials submitted to ScienceDaily every day, and then edited to ensure high quality and relevance. Updated several times a day with breaking news and feature articles, seven days a week, the site covers discoveries in all fields of science. A good search tool and readable content make this site very user-friendly.

We Want Your Feedback
We want and need your ideas, suggestions, and observations. What would you like to know more about? What questions have your students asked? We invite you to share with us and other readers by posting your comments. Please check back often for our newest posts or download the RSS feed for this blog. Let us know what you think and tell us how we can serve you better. We appreciate your feedback on all of our Middle School Portal 2 publications. You can also email us at msp@msteacher.org. Post updated 10/14/2011.

10 thoughts on “Keeping Current With Science Research

1. Believe it or not, many electric utilities also provide free curriculum materials that teach principles of electricity as well as provide additional information, such as safety around electrical appliances and power lines, energy efficiency, and earth sciences.

You might try contacting a the local electric company/district to see what they may have for elementary and middle school science educators.

I’ve compiled a few names, from such companies as Pacific Gas & Electric, National Grid, The Southern Companies, and others on my website.

2. I am гeаllу impressed ωіth уouг ωriting ѕkills
    anԁ also with the layout on your wеblog.
    Iѕ this a paid theme or did you moԁify it
    yourѕelf? Anyωаy keeр up the
    nice quality writing, it is гarе to see а gгeat
    blog like this onе these dayѕ.

Ηеre іs my pаge: chat roulete

3. Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Many thanks, However I am going through issues
    with your RSS. I don’t know why I can’t subscribe to it.

Is there anyone else getting similar RSS problems?

Anyone who knows the solution will you kindly respond?
    Thanx!!

4. Having read this I thought it was very informative.
    I appreciate you taking the time and effort to put this content together.
    I once again find myself personally spending way too much time both reading and commenting.
    But so what, it was still worthwhile!

5. Hi there! This blog post couldn’t be written any better!

Reading through this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
    He continually kept talking about this. I most certainly will forward this information to him.

Pretty sure he’ll have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

My page: IT Outsourcing in NYC (Amparo)

6. Do you have a spam problem on this site; I
    also am a blogger, and I was wanting to know your situation;
    we have created some nice practices and we are looking to exchange techniques with others,
    why not shoot me an e-mail if interested.

Here is my web site :: help desk outsourcing pros and cons (Shari)

7. I almost never comment, but I read a few of the responses on Keeping Current
    With Science Research | Middle School Math and Science.
    I do have a couple of questions for you if it’s
    allright. Could it be only me or do a few of these responses look like they are written by brain dead people?

😛 And, if you are posting on additional sites, I’d like
    to follow everything new you have to post. Could you list of all of
    your shared sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter
    feed?

Visit my site; best computer services [faustozhsn.blog.com]

8. Right here is the right web site for anyone who wants
    to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost tough
    to argue with you (not that I really would want
    to…HaHa). You definitely put a fresh spin on a subject that
    has been written about for many years. Excellent stuff,
    just wonderful!

Look into my site: How To Give A Great And Relaxing Massage.

http://submityour.url.ph/News/how-to-give-a-great-and-relaxing-massage-/,