Investigating Cell Size

How big are cells? Ask most middle school students that question, and they’ll tell you that cells are very small – even microscopic! But what if you asked them to compare the size of cells in a whale and a shrew?

That’s the engaging scenario laid out in “Whale and Shrew,” a formative assessment probe from Uncovering Student Ideas in Science, Volume 2: 25 More Formative Assessment Probes (NSTA Press, 2007). The probe unearths a subtle, yet fundamental concept of cell theory – that there are natural constraints that necessarily limit cell size. How can you help your students reach this conclusion?

An inquiry-based activity provides an opportunity for students to answer the question, “How does the size of a cell affect its ability to exchange materials with its environment?” Or, more simply stated, “Why are cells small?”

These two activities could be used as is, or they could be adapted for a guided inquiry experience. Both involve analyzing how the surface area to volume ratio affects the rate of diffusion in cubes of various sizes. Each uses different materials and a slightly different procedure.

Cell Size and Division
Students test”cells” made of agar and phenolphtalein with sodium hydroxide. They observe the rate of diffusion (evident by color change) in 1x1x1, 2x2x2, and 3x3x3 cubes.

Experiment on Cell Surface Area and Volume
In this lesson, students test “cells” made of potatoes with Lugol’s solution. They observe the rate of diffusion (evidenced by color change) in cubes with a length of 0.5 cm, 1 cm, 1.5 cm, 2 cm, 2.5 cm, and 3 cm. They also calculate the surface area, volume, and ratio of surface area to volume of all cubes.

How can you turn these activities into an inquiry-based lesson? We recommend starting with the probe to assess student thinking and spark interest. Next, you may ask students to generate a testable question based on the probe, or you may choose to provide the question for them. Students can then plan and conduct an investigation using the materials specified in either one of the lessons. Prompt students to generate claims and draw conclusions based on evidence from the investigation.

Teachers of younger students (grades 5 and 6) may wish to use the potatoes and Lugol’s solution, while an 8th grade teacher may have access to agar, phenolpthalein, and sodium hydroxide. Teachers may also modify this activity by removing the surface area and volume calcuations and instead relying on the qualitative observations made during the activity. Either way, students will gain new insight into why cells in any organism are small.

We Want Your Feedback
We want and need your ideas, suggestions, and observations. What would you like to know more about? What questions have your students asked? We invite you to share with us and other readers by posting your comments. Please check back often for our newest posts or download the RSS feed for this blog. Let us know what you think and tell us how we can serve you better. We appreciate your feedback on all of our Middle School Portal 2 publications. You can also email us at msp@msteacher.org. Post updated 4/11/2012.

21 thoughts on “Investigating Cell Size

1. I simply could not depart your web site before suggesting that
    I extremely enjoyed the usual information an individual provide on
    your guests? Is gonna be again regularly to
    check up on new posts

2. I used to be recommended this website through my cousin.
    I’m no longer positive whether or not this post is written through him as no one else recognise such unique approximately my difficulty.
    You are incredible! Thank you!

3. “Investigating Cell Size | Middle School Math and
    Science” was a good blog post and I actually was pretty glad to find
    the article. I appreciate it-Lesley

Feel free to visit my blog Tanya

4. Lately, you can find a wide range of rubbish contained in
    the internet, is great to find that you can still find wonderful web blogs out there.

5. Verry nice post. I just stumbled upo your blog and wished to say that I
    have trul enjoyed browsing your blog posts.
    In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

6. It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future
    and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this submit and if I could I desire to suggest you few fascinating
    issues or suggestions. Maybe you could write next articles relating to this article.
    I want to read more things about it!

7. I have been exploring for a little bit for any high quality
    artiles or weblog posts in this kind of house . Exlloring in Yahoo I
    ultimately stumbled upon this site. Studying this info So i am satisfied to express that I’ve an incredibly good uncanny feeling I found out exactly
    what I needed. I most definitely will make certain to don?t fail to remember this website and provides
    it a look regularly.

my weblog; youtube los angeles whale watching

8. I think this is among the most vital information for me.
    And i’m glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general things, The site
    style is perfect, the articles is really nice : D.
    Good job, cheers

My webpage: Jayne

9. I do accept as true with all the concepts you have
    introduced for your post. They’re very convincing and
    will definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are very short for novices.

May just you please prolong them a little from subsequent time?
    Thanks for the post.

10. We’re a bunch of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community.

Your website provided us with valuable information to work on. You have performed a
    formidable process and our entire neighborhood will probably be thankful to you.

11. Hikers, students or professionals may make use of these bags
    without any hassles. Individuals notice the handbags,
    purses and wallets etc you carry whilst you’re
    traveling, visiting your friends’ location, attending a party or purchasing.

You can make your own camera bag with the exact design you’re looking for.

12. I just couldn’t leave your website before suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the
    standard information an individual provide for your
    visitors? Is gonna be back often to inspect new posts

13. Send a note asking if she understood a certain assignment and wondering if she could help you study.

If we understand why not contacting him works, it should make it better to do.
    It’s your night and you only have 4 minutes with each person so
    go for it.