Math Competitions: Go, Team!

If you want to encourage your middle school students to” be the best they can be,” here are two competitions for you to consider.  Both are national and aimed at promoting high achievement through regular math meetings.  At least one person on staff will have to head the program, teach the high standard mathematics required on the tests, hold practice contests, and generally push, encourage, and applaud.

MATHCOUNTS is a national competition developed for U.S. middle school students. Its program promotes mathematics achievement through grassroots involvement in every U.S. state and territory. You will find here all the information on how to register and how to prepare your students for the yearly competitions held throughout the country.

Math Olympiads for Elementary and Middle Schools
Created for grades 4-6 and 6-8, this program aims to enhance students’ problem-solving skills. I especially like the two grade ranges. Math clubs meet weekly for an hour, when students explore a topic or strategy in depth, or practice for the contests. All information on how to structure the clubs and prepare students is included here. 

Finally, a third contest, not strictly mathematical, but you and a science teacher might find it challenging for your students who like to work “hands-on.” The West Point Bridge Design Contest is a challenge for U.S. students age 13 through grade 12. The purpose of the contest is to provide middle school and high school students with a realistic, engaging introduction to engineering. They can learn about how engineers use the computer as a problem-solving tool, about truss bridges and how they work, about engineering through a realistic, hands-on problem-solving experience, and about the engineering design process. Students design a truss bridge using the award-winning West Point Bridge Designer software (absolutely free!). At the site, you can register for this year’s competition and also learn how to set up a local bridge design contest.

Good luck to your team!!!

We Want Your Feedback
We want and need your ideas, suggestions, and observations. What would you like to know more about? What questions have your students asked? We invite you to share with us and other readers by posting your comments. Please check back often for our newest posts or download the RSS feed for this blog. Let us know what you think and tell us how we can serve you better. We appreciate your feedback on all of our Middle School Portal 2 publications. You can also email us at msp@msteacher.org. Post updated 4/18/2012.

15 thoughts on “Math Competitions: Go, Team!

1. I delight in, result in I discovered just what I used to be looking for.

You’ve ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

2. I’m now not sure where you’re getting your information,
    however great topic. I must spend some time studying much more
    or figuring out more. Thanks for excellent information I
    was searching for this information for my mission.

3. Nice weblog here! Also your site a lot up very fast! What web host are you the use of?
    Can I get your associate link on your host?
    I desire my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol

4. Howdy excellent blog! Does running a blog such as this
    require a large amount of work? I’ve no understanding of programming however I had been hoping to start my own blog in the near
    future. Anyway, if you have any suggestions or tips for new
    blog owners please share. I know this is off subject however I
    just needed to ask. Thank you!

5. With much floor space you can use either little or more space as per your needs.
    Miscellaneous facilities include mailbox rentals, packing and
    transport services. While some people may need a Toronto self storage
    warehouse for a single day, some other may need it for a month or even a year.

6. I’m excited to find this page. I need to to thank you for your time
    for this particularly fantastic read!! I definitely enjoyed every bit of it
    and i also have you book-marked to check out new things on your blog.

7. With havin so much content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright violation? My site
    has a lot of unique content I’ve either authored myself or outsourced but it looks
    like a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my authorization. Do you know any solutions to help reduce content from being
    ripped off? I’d definitely appreciate it.

8. This is the perfect website for everyone who really
    wants to find out about this topic. You realize a whole lot its almost tough to argue with you (not that I personally will need to…HaHa).

You certainly put a fresh spin on a topic that’s been written about for many years.

Wonderful stuff, just great!

9. I just like the helpful information you provide to your articles.
    I will bookmark your weblog and check again right here regularly.
    I am slightly certain I’ll be informed a lot
    of new stuff proper right here! Good luck for the following!

10. You could certainly see your enthusiasm in the work you write.
    The sector hopes for even more passionate writers such as you
    who are not afraid to mention how they believe. Always
    go after your heart.

11. Excellent website you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of
    any message boards that cover the same topics discussed here?

I’d really like to be a part of group where I can get feedback from other experienced people that share
    the same interest. If you have any recommendations,
    please let me know. Appreciate it!