The Science of Sports II

Looking for “sporty” ways to teach your students about science? Here are some resources from the Middle School Portal 2 Digital Library. You can do your own searches at MSP2 Collection of Resources.

Science of NFL Football
In America, the autumn season means two things–back to school and back to football. To celebrate both events, NBC News’ educational arm, NBC Learn, teamed up with the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the National Football League (NFL) to release the “Science of NFL Football”–an informative 10-part video series that explores the science behind America’s most beloved sport. Made especially for students and teachers as they head back to the classroom, these videos are aligned to lesson plans and national state education standards. Lessons plans for middle school students that accompany each video can be found at http://lessonopoly.org/node/10804.

For each segment in the series, an NSF-supported scientist explains the selected scientific principle, while NFL athletes describe how these principles apply to their respective positions. Series scientists supported by NSF are: University of Florida aerospace engineer Tony Schmitz, Clemson University mechanical engineer John Ziegert, University of Maryland physicist Sylvester “Jim” Gates and Bryn Mawr College mathematician Rhonda Hughes. Also participating in the series are two scientists from the University of Connecticut, kinesiologist Douglas Casa and nutritionist Nancy Rodriguez. Current players and retirees who participated in the video series include:

Former NFL Players:
* Orlando Pace, Tackle
* Hardy Nickerson, Linebacker
* Antonio Freeman, Wide Receiver
* Joey Harrington, Quarterback
* Marshall Faulk, Running Back
* Craig Hentrich, Punter
* Morten Andersen, Place Kicker
* Ryan Kuehl, Long Snapper

Current NFL Players:
* Hines Ward, Wide Receiver, Pittsburgh Steelers
* Antwaan Randle El, Wide Receiver, Pittsburgh Steelers
* Scott Paxson, Nose Tackle, Pittsburgh Steelers
* Patrick Cobbs, Running Back, Miami Dolphins
* Yeremiah Bell, Safety, Miami Dolphins
* Jake Long, Tackle, Miami Dolphins
* Dan Carpenter, Place Kicker, Miami Dolphins
* Lousaka Polite, Running Back, Miami Dolphins

The Science of Speed
The Science of Speed, produced for the National Science Foundation (NSF) and written and hosted by Diandra Leslie-Pelecky, explains the scientific principles that are so essential to the NASCAR experience. Viewers learn how science makes cars powerful, agile, fast and safe – and how these same principles affect their own cars.

Science of the Olympic Winter Games
NBC Learn, the educational arm of NBC News, teamed up with the National Science Foundation (NSF) to produce Science of the Olympic Winter Games, a 16-part video series that explores the science behind individual Olympic events, including Downhill and Aerial Skiing, Speed Skating and Figure Skating, Curling and Hockey, and Ski Jumping, Bobsledding and Snowboarding. Each video is complemented with lesson plans which include fun classroom activities. The lesson plans were written by teachers at Academic Business Consultants for grades 6-9 and are aligned with California State Standards.

Exploratorium: Sports
The Exploratorium website provides creative educational materials for introductory physics students and teachers. Users can learn about the science behind a homerun, find out how the physics of balance helps enthusiasts surf the waves, and discover the physics behind many other popular sports. The site is equipped with interviews, enticing images, and enthralling descriptions. Visitors can find interesting articles covering sports topics such as fitness challenges for climbers and the way balls bounce.

Paintball: Chemistry Hits Its Mark
The first paintballs were fired by foresters and ranchers to mark trees and cattle. In the 1980s, someone got the idea that it would be more fun to fire paintballs at people than at trees and cows. Thus the sport of paintball was born. In this article from ChemMatters, learn how the one billion paintballs manufactured each year are a product of chemistry and engineering. You’ll need to scroll down a couple of pages to get to the Paintball article.

Golf Balls
Since the late 1800s, chemists have been called on to find ways to produce lighter, faster, and durable golf balls. This site traces the chemistry that has transformed the ball and promises to create a ball that will “soar like a cruise missile, hit the ground at a very shallow angle, and roll for up to 40 yards on hard ground.”

Extreme Adventure
Do you have what it takes to win the Ultimate Race? Find out with the Tryscience Extreme Challenge! Compete on seven courses in four sports- mountain biking, kayaking, rock climbing and snowboarding. You must train and apply the science behind the sport to beat the challenge time and earn each course medal.

Come to the Middle School Portal 2: Math and Science Pathways online network to discuss this and many other topics and connect with colleagues!

25 thoughts on “The Science of Sports II

1. The lesson plans are well executed. I hope that they keep on coming out with these type of fun and interactive lesson plans.

2. I am merely blowen by the high quality of idea I have gotten
    in this blog. It is blog sites like this that must be shared and
    voted for throughout the internet. By the wayu00e7 you have actually encouraged me to
    write a post in my blog on a comparable topic.

I have a web site that covers an additional side of
    the story. I suspect we are speaking about the very same thing but are lookiong at it
    from a slightly various angle. Visit my web site right here and leave your comment please short term loan
    instant cash – Carl

3. Comments and opinions concerning the site or service make hype and intrigue
    round the product. I was seeking for ways to file video of most my league of legends games.
    Great players go out with other great gamers and study from each
    other.

Also visit my webpage; http://www.crazyfuntube.com

4. term paper writing may even be a sculpture or associate art that is in associate degree extremely position to be happen accomplished at. ways in which and looms, devices and procedure may even be accomplished at, clever and ideal. this implies to purpose that gifts. to allow lend a hand to our booklovers essay composing service is usually equipped. to amass any in sequence delight keep shut or connect with North yank nation.

5. It is appropriate time to make a few planjs for the longg run and it iss time to be happy.
    I have learn this post and if I may I waant to recommnd you some interesting
    issues or suggestions. Perhaps you can write next
    articles relating to this article. I desire to read more issues about it!

Havve a look at my web-site :: sooper articles

6. Definitely elieve that which you stated. Your favorite reason appeared too be on the internet the
    easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people consider worries that they juust do not know about.
    You managed to hit tthe naol upon the top annd alkso defined out the
    whole thing without havinng side effect , people can take a signal.

Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

Feel free to visit my wweb page: psychic healing

7. Thank you a lot for sharing this with all folks you actually realize what you’re ttalking about!
    Bookmarked. Please also discuss with my website
    =). We may have a hyperlink alternate arrangement among us

Here is my weblog :: Email Reading

8. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a realy well written article.
    I’ll be suhre to bookmark it and retrurn too read more of your
    useful information. Thanks for thee post. Iwill certainly
    comeback.

Feeel free to surf to my blog; objects

9. When someone writes an piece of writing he/she retains the image of
    a user in his/her brain that how a user can understand it.
    Therefore that’s why this post is outstdanding. Thanks!

10. After looking into a number of the blog posts on your
    site, I seriously like your technique of writing a blog.
    I added it too my bookmark ebsite lidt and will be checking back in thhe near future.
    Please check out my website as well and let me know what you think.

My web page – lover

11. whoah ths weblog iis fantastic i really like sstudying your articles.
    Stay up the good work! You already know, a lot of persons are looking around for this information, you
    could help them greatly.

12. There are online marketers who are using Twitter in the best
    possible way to build a relationship with their prospects and are successful in increasing their sales.
    Many of the people who you choose to follow, will return the compliment and follow
    you back and before you know it you will have built up a
    list of followers. Lastly make sure you post clear, concise messages
    which contain updated and to the point message while not sounding too promotional as such or else people could back out
    from following you. It really helps to do this if you have set up
    an automated system of tweeting so that you don’t need to go into Twitter each time you want to tweet.

13. Hey There. I discovered your weblog using msn. That is an extremely smartly written article.

I’ll make sure to bookmark it and return to read extra of your useful info.
    Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly return.