Those Dicey Decimals!

Understanding decimals is a “must” and practice with them a basic necessity. The first two resources here feature games that encourage practice at varying levels of mastery. The third site offers a visual, interactive experience in comparing decimal values, while the last site provides short, self-contained lessons and practice on individual topics.

MathFROG
MathFROG stands for Math Fun, Resources, and Online Games. These lessons combine online mathematics games with paper-and-pencil follow-up exercises. Among the lessons listed for grade 6 are Decimal Mania, Decimultiplication, Place Value! and Ordering Decimals.

The Math Files Game Show
Students practice decimal skills as they play these games: Saloon Snap (matching fractions with decimals and percents), Builder Ted (ordering numbers), and Rounding Off (to significant figures or decimal places). Three levels of difficulty allow students to increase the challenge

Comparing and Ordering Decimals
In this interactive investigation, students use grids to model decimal numbers and compare them graphically. They then compare the numbers on a number line. The visual experience aids in making real sense of decimals. This is a subscription site; however, a free month of viewing is available.

Decimals
This site has basic explanatory lessons and interactive practice dealing with decimals. Topics include naming decimals; adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing decimals; rounding decimals; place value of decimals; comparing decimals; finding percents; equivalent fractions and decimals; and much more!

We Want Your Feedback
We want and need your ideas, suggestions, and observations. What would you like to know more about? What questions have your students asked? We invite you to share with us and other readers by posting your comments. Please check back often for our newest posts or download the RSS feed for this blog. Let us know what you think and tell us how we can serve you better. We appreciate your feedback on all of our Middle School Portal 2 publications. You can also email us at msp@msteacher.org. Post updated 4/14/2012.

4 thoughts on “Those Dicey Decimals!

1. Hello all, I came here for answers, Not sure where to ask this, so I will ask here. right now I use 4 tools to get this job done and I seem to be repeating the information over to the next tool for each new client. I have been searching for this tool for awhile now and have not found one that will work, please let me know if one is out there.

2. Your post, “Those Dicey Decimals! | Middle School Math and Science”
    was worth commenting here! Merely wanted to state you really did a remarkable work.
    I appreciate it -Seymour

3. My spouse and I stumbled over here coming from a different web page and thought I might
    as well check things out. I like what I see so
    now i’m following you. Look forward to exploring your web page yet again.