Brushing Up on Your Middle School Algebra and Geometry

We know that days, weeks, or months without using a skill takes a toll on our proficiency. So it can be with teaching topics in the middle school math curriculum. If it’s been a while since you taught algebra or geometry topics, which are now recommended in “significant amounts” by the NCTM Standards, here are some resources to bring yourself back up to speed.

Insights into Algebra 1: Teaching for Learning
This online professional development workshop for middle and high school teachers explores strategies for teaching 16 topics found in most Algebra 1 programs. In each session, teachers view two half-hour videos that feature effective strategies for teaching specific topics. Then, using a workshop guide, teachers participate in activities designed to help them incorporate these strategies in their own practice.

Learning Math: Patterns, Functions, and Algebra
In this online course designed for K-8 teachers, each of 10 sessions centers on a topic, such as understanding linearity and proportional reasoning or exploring algebraic structure. The teacher-friendly design includes video, problem-solving activities, and case studies that show you how to apply what you have learned in your own classroom.

Learning Math: Geometry
This online course introduces geometric reasoning as problem solving. Intended for K-8 teachers, the sessions explore the properties of geometric figures, the use of mathematical language to express ideas and justify your reasoning, and the basis of proofs and solid geometry.

We Want Your Feedback
We want and need your ideas, suggestions, and observations. What would you like to know more about? What questions have your students asked? We invite you to share with us and other readers by posting your comments. Please check back often for our newest posts or download the RSS feed for this blog. Let us know what you think and tell us how we can serve you better. We appreciate your feedback on all of our Middle School Portal 2 publications. You can also email us at msp@msteacher.org. Post updated 4/07/2012.

2 thoughts on “Brushing Up on Your Middle School Algebra and Geometry

1. Yesterday, while I was at work, my sister stole my apple ipad and tested to see if it can survive a 40 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation.

My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83 views. I know this
    is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!

2. I’m getting a new computer but don’t want to lose my Firefox bookmarks. Is there an easy way to save a record of all the URLs in my Bookmarks and then quickly upload them to Firefox on my new computer?.