Area and Volume

Here are online resources with virtual manipulatives that can help make area and volume real for students. Be sure to check out the sites these resources are from — the sites contain many other interesting and useful mathematics learning resources.

Area Explorer
With this simulation, the student finds the areas for irregular shapes on a grid. Answers are checked and a table displays the perimeters and areas. The instructor page contains exploration questions to use to investigate the relationship between area and perimeter.

How High?
This virtual manipulative simulates pouring a liquid from one container to another container with different dimensions and the same or different shape. Students determine the volume of the liquid in the first container and predict the height of the liquid in the second. The container can be a cylinder, tank, or cone.

Neighborhood Math
Two of this site’s printable lessons, Math at the Mall and Math in the Park or City, feature hands-on activities where students use area or volume to explore their actual neighborhood.

Patios: Does Bigger Perimeter Mean Bigger Area?
This activity challenges students to think about the relationship between perimeter and area. Students must use a little ingenuity to find the dimensions of the tiles used to build two patios with the same area, but different shapes.

Scaling Away
In this hands-on lesson, students find the dimensions of a rectangular prism or cylinder and create a larger scale model of the same shape. After calculating surface areas and volumes, students draw conclusions about the relationship between surface area and volume.

Three Dimensional Box Applet: Working With Volume
Students create boxes by using their mouse to indicate how much of each corner should be cut from a grid. The dimensions of the box and its volume and surface are generated by the applet

We Want Your Feedback
We want and need your ideas, suggestions, and observations. What would you like to know more about? What questions have your students asked? We invite you to share with us and other readers by posting your comments. Please check back often for our newest posts or download the RSS feed for this blog. Let us know what you think and tell us how we can serve you better. We appreciate your feedback on all of our Middle School Portal 2 publications. You can also email us at msp@msteacher.org. Post updated 4/04/2012.

15 thoughts on “Area and Volume

1. Pingback: » Area and Volume

2. I do not even know how I ended up right here, however I assumed this put up was once great.
    I do not recognize who you’re but definitely you’re going to a well-known blogger in case you aren’t already.
    Cheers!

3. How long did it require you to post “Area and Volume | Middle School Math and Science”?
    It possesses a good deal of fine details. With
    thanks -Georgianna

Here is my website – Whitney

4. “Area and Volume | Middle School Math and Science” was in fact a good blog post.
    If only there was more sites similar to this one on the actual net.
    At any rate, thanks for your time, Bernardo

Also visit my blog post – Muoi

5. An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto a coworker
    who has been conducting a little homework on this.
    And he in fact ordered me dinner because I stumbled upon it for him…
    lol. So let me reword this…. Thanks for the meal!!
    But yeah, thanks for spending some time to talk about this matter here on your web site.

6. It’s very simple to find out any topic on web as compared to books, as
    I found this post at this website.

7. Many people believe if you don’t live in a 100 year or 500 year flood plain, then this
    isn’t a policy for them. According to the CDC website, “expose to mold can cause severe reactions such a fever and shortness of breath. It is also a good idea to wear rubber boots and gloves before going into your home.

8. Hi would you mind letting me know which web host you’re using?
    I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different internet browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot quicker then most.
    Can you recommend a good internet hosting provider at a reasonable price?

Thank you, I appreciate it!

9. Superb blog you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any discussion boards
    that cover the same topics talked about in this article?
    I’d really like to be a part of online community where I can get opinions
    from other experienced people that share the same interest.
    If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Bless you!

10. Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic but I’d figured I’d
    ask. Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest writing a blog post or
    vice-versa? My website addresses a lot of the same subjects as yours and I think we
    could greatly benefit from each other. If you’re interested feel free to send me an email.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Fantastic blog by the way!