Graphing Statistics

Graphs are part of the language of newspapers, of political discussion, of science and business. Our students need to be able to read and write in this language if they are to sort out the meaning of the barrage of numbers that hits them in daily life. As stated in the NCTM Standards, middle grades students should be able to “select, create, and use appropriate graphical representations of data.” Here are resources that provide opportunities to use graphs in presenting interesting data.

Do Women Live Longer Than Men?
This activity opens with a graph that depicts the life expectancies of men and women born in the United States.

Soda: Does It Make a Difference Where You Shop?
This activity offers students a chance to compare soda prices from two stores using data displayed on a scatterplot.

Working Hours: How Much Time Do Teens Spend on the Job?
Students must interpret a bar graph to determine the average number of hours teenagers work per week.

Interactivate Activities
Java applets on this site allow students to create graphs that handle examples of real-world data. Choose the heading “Statistics” and find a variety of graphs, including stem-and-leaf plot, circle, histogram, double-bar, and box plot.

We Want Your Feedback
We want and need your ideas, suggestions, and observations. What would you like to know more about? What questions have your students asked? We invite you to share with us and other readers by posting your comments. Please check back often for our newest posts or download the RSS feed for this blog. Let us know what you think and tell us how we can serve you better. We appreciate your feedback on all of our Middle School Portal 2 publications. You can also email us at msp@msteacher.org. Post updated 4/07/2012.

11 thoughts on “Graphing Statistics

1. Amazing blog! Do you have any helpful hints foor aspiring writers?
    I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a little losat oon everything.
    Would you suggest starting with a free platform like WordPress
    or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out
    there that I’m completely overwhelmed .. Any suggestions?
    Kudos!

my blog post :: IT Support Stevenage (http://tackyoomph1401.jimdo.com/2013/08/05/how-exactly-to-choose-best-seo-packages-for-you)

2. I wass curious if you ever considered changing the layout of your website?
    Its verfy well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybhe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect ith iit better.

Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one
    oor two pictures. Mybe you could space it out better?

Feel free tto surf to my webpage; Posicionamiento WEB

3. Someone essentially help to make significantly articles I would state.
    This is the very first time I frequented your website page and so far?
    I amazed with the analpysis you made to make this particular publish amazing.
    Magnificent job!

4. This prevents the common warm consistency that other juicers create, giving you coo and refreshing juice instead.

The fact that Rr gives yoou a ten year service
    contract for this juice machine demonstrates that these
    products sttand behind our prme quality and durability of this juice machine.
    You need to decide based onn your lifestyle and your juicing plans.

My homepage Omega juicer 8006

5. Link exchange is nothing else but it is simply placing the other person’s webpage link on your page at suitable
    place and other person will also do same in support of you.

6. We stumbled over here by a different website and thought I might as well
    check things out. I like what I see so i am just following
    you. Look forward to looking over your web page repeatedly.

7. With above 75% of females suffering from a vaginal yeast infection at some time in their lifestyle, you would consider that there would be a basic consensus about the ideal way to deal with a yeast infection.

8. It is the want of a lot of men and women that they commence a company and run it until finally it becomes successful. The variation nonetheless arises when it comes to determining the purpose as to why 1 would like to start off a organization.